Utility Allowance Information

Maximum rent limits include the cost of utilities paid by the resident. Unless your property pays ALL utilities, you will be required to provide the utility allowance(s) in effect during the reporting period. See Chapter 2 for utility allowance information. You should circle and total the items in the utility allowance(s) that apply to the units in your property. Example (PDF)

If you have questions about how to calculate allowances for your property, consult the source of the utility allowance. Utility Allowance changes must be implemented within 90 days. Most properties use published public housing authority utility allowances. A new procedure for owners to calculate utilities based on actual usage is described below.


The following housing authorities offer their utility sheets online. If the utility allowance listed is more than a year old, contact the source and ask them if there is a new utility allowance. Please encourage the source to post the latest utility allowance online as soon as possible.

Bellingham/Whatcom County Housing Authority | See Section 8 Utility Allowance under "Leased Housing"

Bremerton Housing Authority

Chelan County & City of Wenatchee Housing Authority | See Utility Allowance for Chelan & Douglas Counties

Everett Housing Authority

Grant Housing Authority

Kennewick Housing Authority | KHA Section 8 Utility Allowance Schedules for Benton County under "Learn More About"

King County Housing Authority | Utility Allowances for KCHA Section 8 (excluding Seattle & Renton)

Longview Housing Authority | Go to "Housing Services" menu on home page, select Rent Subsidy Programs, then Fair Market Rents, then Utility Rates, then HUD-52667 links to view the Utility Allowance Form for Cowlitz, Lewis, Pacific or Wahkiakum Counties.

Peninsula Housing Authority | See Section 8 Utility Allowance for Clallam and Jefferson Counties

Renton Housing Authority

Seattle Housing Authority | See Utility Allowances Schedules for Seattle

Spokane Housing Authority | Utility sheets Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Whitman Counties

Pierce County Housing Authority | See Utility Allowance Schedules for Pierce County (excluding Tacoma)

Housing Authority of Snohomish County | See by building type for Snohomish Co. (excluding Everett)

City of Tacoma Housing Division | Tacoma Utility Allowances

Housing Authority of Thurston County | See Moving and Porting Paperwork - Utility Charts

Vancouver Housing Authority | See Utility Allowances for Clark County

Yakima Housing Authority | See "Property Owners" for Yakima and Kittitas Cos. utility allowances


If your housing authority does not offer their utility allowance sheets online, the following site can help you identify the housing authority near your property and find their phone number: Association of Washington Housing Authorities


See Appendix O of the Tax Credit Compliance manual for the new WSHFC utility allowance procedure option. This option describes how owners may calculate utilities themselves based on actual usage or with the help of a contractor.  Contractors who have expressed an interest in assisting property owners with this process:

Compliance Solutions an Affiliate of Zeffert and Association


Request for Qualifications: Energy Modeling Consultants (PDF)
The Washington State Housing Finance Commission is issuing a Request for Qualifications from engineers, energy consulting firms, and utility consumption analysts to qualify for the Commission’s referral list for such services, including utility allowance calculations. Respondents with successful submissions will be placed on the Approved Roster of Energy Modeling Consultants from which organizations seeking financing may select.


Home | About | CareersCommissioners | Contact UsEventsMy View Newsletter | Publications | Homeownership: Homebuyer Programs | Information for Lenders | Information for Real Estate Professionals | Information for Instructors | Multifamily Housing: 9% Housing Credit | Bond/Tax Credit | 80/20 Bonds | 501(c)(3) Housing BondsSpecial Programs: Energy | Farmer/Rancher | Nonprofit FacilitiesLand Acquisition Program | Property Managers: Asset Management and Compliance Information for Investors: Official Statements, Annual Reports, Interim Information |  Privacy Notice | Requests for Public Records
Washington State Housing Finance Commission 
1000 2nd Avenue, Suite 2700, Seattle, Washington 98104 | Phone: 206-464-7139 or 800-767-4663 | Fax: 206-587-5113 | Contact Us
©1998-2018 All Rights Reserved